top of page

Health Department & Liquor Licensing

If you are opening a restaurant or any other type of establishment that serves food and drink, an Eating and Drinking Permit is required from the Maricopa County Environmental Health Department. Your business also must comply with Maricopa County rules and regulations established for food handlers and food facilities. 

The Maricopa County Environmental Health Department

  1001 N. Central Ave.

  Phoenix, AZ 85004





Business owners must apply to the City of Glendale to operate a restaurant and food-related business and/or establishment that serves or sales liquor. You need to check ensure the property is properly zoned for a liquor license. If it is not, you will need to contact Planning Department for rezoning procedures.


Bead Museum

Planning Department

5754 West Glenn Dr.

Glendale, AZ 85301.

(623) 930-2800



You must also contact the City’s Tax and License Division  for any specific requirements related to operating a restaurant and to apply for a business license.   


Glendale Adult Center

City’s Tax and License Division

5970 W. Brown Street, Suite 210

Glendale, AZ 85301




Liquor licenses are issued by the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses & Control.


Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses (5th FL)

800 W. Washington St.,

Phoenix, AZ 85007




Note: For businesses that require a Transactional Privilege Sales Tax (TPT) license, visit or for additional information.

Liquor Licensing

General Overview

Any person who wishes to sell spirituous liquor in Arizona must first apply at the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control for a state liquor license.  In addition, a Arizona Department of Revenue Transaction Privilege (Sales) Tax License is required. 

Glendale Licensing Requirements

Persons wishing to conduct business within the City of Glendale jurisdiction, where spirituous liquor is sold.  A Glendale Liquor License Packet will be required to be complete and submit for approval.

Application Process Overview

The approval process normally takes 45 to 90 days once all applications have been completed and filed.  Department of Liquor Licenses and Control files the application once it is deemed complete. When an application is not complete, it is returned to the applicant with specific instructions to assist in the satisfactory completion of the application.

 Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control will mail the completed application to the City, where it will be processed and assigned a City Council meeting.  The City will issue a letter to the applicant/agent indicating receipt of the application and outlining the next steps for completion.


Time is Critical

In the completion of the above outlined steps. The Department of Liquor Licenses and Control requires immediate City action. Since delay in the completion of these requirements could cause a recommendation for denial of this application, it is recommended that immediate action be taken to start this process.

Extension of Premises

To expand or enlarge the area in which alcohol can be served an existing establishment that is already licensed to sell alcohol can request a temporary or permanent extension of premise.  The area must be contiguous to the currently licensed area.  Because extensions of premise require review by Fire Prevention, requests must be submitted through our Special Event Permit process.   

bottom of page